Thursday, October 30, 2014

Lesson #6
This week I learned more Emotion Signs (there are so many!) and a few others:

Courage
Conscience, Guilty
Envy
Jealous
Stingy
Selfish
Vanity
Pride, Proud, Arrogant
Wish
Satisfy
Comfortable, Comfort
Complain

People
Individual
Friend
Audience
Character, Role
Neighbor
Sweetheart
Police, Cop, Security
Thief, Robber (one of my favorites)

I found this week that I was able to more easily learn more Signs than I have in the past. A lot of Signs use pieces of other Signs to complete the meaning. For example, the Sign for "cop" is made by placing your right hand shaped in the "C" letter on the left shoulder. Knowing the alphabet already, this Sign was easy to remember. Once again, I found that ZPD (Zone of Proximal Development) was coming into play with my learning. Through collaboration with my husband and my sister-in-law (occasionally), I am making far more progress than I could on my own.

The image on the left is the Sign for "C" and the image on the right is the Sign for "Cop".





In reading Brown et al and the reading for last week, I am 100% in agreement that I cannot learn Sign Language without actively using what I am learning. I think that right now I am mostly acquiring the "tools" or Signs but I'm not fully actively using them because I have not yet come across someone in my social circle that speaks fluently in Sign Language. I'm not saying that I'm not learning any Signs because I am actively practicing with my husband but I think that my knowledge and acquiring of Signs would be more embedded in my mind if I received lessons from someone who is completely fluent.

No comments:

Post a Comment